Saturday, May 3, 2008

3 - Ex 14:14

Exodus 14:14
Context: The Israelites are nearing the Red Sea and they see the Egyptians closing in on them. This is part of Moses’ reply to them.“The Lord Himself will fight for you, you have only to keep still.” Ex. 14:14

I can imagine what the Israelites were feeling at this point is about as far from peace as one can get. Moses may have even been getting uptight, but he remembered his faith and confidence in God and His promise of deliverance. I think I am more often like one of the Israelites than like Moses. My first response to danger or any stressful situation is to fight like ens. I get all worked up and my brain switches into overdrive, often causing me to lose sleep.

It’s kind of like quicksand though, the more I struggle and fight for peace, the more entrenched I seem to become in strife and chaos.

Could it be that I am trying to wrestle some peace out of God’s hands?

What about other situations, like my wish for a more peaceful home and just the presence of peace in my everyday life?

Am I a big clod in combat boots running through a field of fluffy dandelions trying in vain to catch a single seed? What if I try sitting quietly at the feet of the Father? What will happen then?

Oh, but the busybody in me is just so sure that nothing will get accomplished by this inaction. I can’t sit on my duff and wait for my environment to become more peaceful and my soul to fill with calm.

But then I hear His voice, “I will fight for you, you have only to keep still.”

And when I tell Him that sometimes it is harder to keep still and wait, He smiles and pats me on the head and says no more. Maybe that is all He wanted me to know. But maybe, just maybe, I should take a step out in faith and just try it. It is so scary, but maybe something surprising will happen.

Action Items: Identify some area where you lack peace, and commit to let God be the one to bring peace to that area. Write it on a piece of paper and stick it on or behind a picture of Jesus. Commit to laying the battle at His feet and let Him fight this one for you.

No comments: