Thursday, May 8, 2008

8 - Deut 2:26-27

Deut 2:26-27

So I sent messengers from the wilderness of Kedemoth to Sihon the king of Heshbon with words of peace saying, "Let me pass through your land; I will go only by the road, I will turn aside neither to the right nor to the left."

Context: The Israelites have been in the wilderness for 38+ years. Up until now, God has had the tread lightly through he lands owned by the descendants of Esau & Lot. Now God has told Moses that it is time to start taking some actual territory by force - but not from Esau's or Lot's clans.

So Moses sends messengers Sihon telling him that he will deal peacefully with him and just wants to pass through fairly as he has done in other lands. Even though God told Moses that it was time to use force, Moses offered a peaceful solution first. This is where the verses listed above come in. King Sihon refuses and comes out to meet the Israelites for battle. Sihon loses the battle.

Just as Moses tried to make peace even when force was allowed, so I think I need to proceed peacefully before jumping into battle. (Battle = daily conflicts) If a conflict needs to happen, it will, but I don't need to encourage it.

Also, looking only at the verses, I think maybe that is how I should proceed through "the world"; peacefully and fairly, like a stranger in a strange land. Neither absorbing the traditions of that land nor getting distracted from my path or stopping the progress of my journey.

No comments: